How to Know When Your AC Unit Needs Replacing
An efficient AC unit is an important feature to have in your home. If you can’t quite reach a comfortable temperature when you’re indoors or notice that your energy bills have sky-rocketed, it may be time to re-evaluate your air conditioner and consider investing in a new, more energy-efficient model. When your air conditioner stops working as effectively as it did in previous years, switching to a high-efficiency system can drastically reduce your energy consumption and in turn, help you save money.
5 Signs it’s Time to Upgrade Your AC Unit
HVAC systems, like other machines, won’t last forever, but they do provide comfort in your home for several years. In fact, your cooling systems works incredibly hard to help keep you and your family cool and comfortable, so it should come as no surprise that it will need replacing eventually. Before the summer season kicks into high gear, it’s a good idea to figure out whether it’s time to upgrade your AC unit so you can avoid any nasty surprises during the upcoming months when you need it the most.
Here are some of warning signs you can look out for:
- The most obvious sign—your current AC unit is old: Generally, air conditioners can last 15-20 years with regular care and preventative maintenance. However, as it ages, your system may start to consume more energy and become less effective at cooling – even if it’s technically still functional. Thanks to advancements in modern HVAC technology, the systems that are on the market today are much more efficient and reliable.
- Your bills are going up: Older air conditioners are prone to breakdowns, leading to costly maintenance fees. They also consume more energy, meaning your monthly energy bills will reflect this. In order to avoid these rising costs, consider replacing your existing system before it starts costing you more in repairs and monthly energy expenses.
- Your air conditioner is noisy: It’s normal for HVAC systems to emit a certain level of noise but if you begin to notice that your air conditioner becomes especially noisy once it starts running, this may indicate an issue with an internal component. Abnormal noises you should pay attention to are rattling, squeaking or banging sounds.
- The temperature in your home is inconsistent: If you feel too hot or cold in certain areas of your home, it could indicate that your AC unit is not doing its job properly. In some cases, your system may just be in need of a simple repair but in other cases, it may be time to consider a replacement. Experiencing inconsistent temperatures in the home could also mean that your HVAC system is improperly sized or is too old and can’t produce an adequate distribution of cool air.
- Your System Needs Frequent Repairs: If it feels like your AC unit has undergone frequent repairs, it’s a good sign that it may be time to get rid of the system entirely and start fresh. Constant repairs within a short period of time may indicate that your system is wearing out and will likely stop working in the immediate future.
If you see warning signs that your AC unit is nearing end of life, it’s time to get in touch with the HVAC professionals from The Energy Centre. While the cost of a new cooling system may feel a little daunting at first, you will end up saving more money on your monthly energy bills by making the investment to upgrade your air conditioner. Our service technicians can accurately identify any issues with your unit and help you decide if a repair or replacement is necessary based on the condition of your system. As always, we are committed to providing residents and businesses in Ottawa and the surrounding area with high-quality HVAC products and unrivaled customer service that won’t be beat.
Contact the team at The Energy Centre to learn more about our cooling products and services. You can schedule an appointment by calling 613-746-7000 or contact us online for more information.
- 24/7 emergency Service
- call us