As winter rages on, you may not think much about turning your air conditioning unit to cool. Most likely, you are wearing long johns and turtlenecks. There may come a time where your home gets too warm, for example, while cooking a holiday meal with dozens of people standing around chatting.
Before you flip the switch randomly, make sure you follow these steps:
- Ensure there is no ice or debris on or around the unit.
- Remove any cover from the unit.
- Lower your thermostat to the desired temperature.
- Take a moment to listen for the fan and condenser to turn on.
- Go outside and check that there is warm air coming out of the top of the air conditioner.
- After about 10-15 minutes, tour all the rooms of your home to see if the temperature is cold.
If the mercury rises in the middle of winter, causing your home to become uncomfortably warm, you can cool it down, but do it properly. Once finished, remember to re-secure your central air unit for the rest of the winter.
If the unit fails to perform, it is time to call in an HVAC professional. Not only will they provide you with air conditioner maintenance tips, they will also thoroughly inspect your system and get you back to comfort quickly.
If you want a flawlessly functioning and efficient air conditioner even during the winter, contact the team at The Energy Centre. Schedule a maintenance appointment at 613-746-7000 or contact us online to learn about our maintenance services.
- 24/7 emergency Service
- call us